Since 1899, Jos. Schmitt Construction Company has served the construction needs of the area residents, businesses and institutions. Steven and Reed Schmitt represent the fourth generation of the Schmitt Family committed to providing the highest level of quality, service and integrity.
Jos. Schmitt Construction is a Wisconsin C-Corporation, incorporated on December 23rd, 1954, but established in 1899. We hold a Wisconsin Division of Safety and Buildings license 12930 and locally with the City of Sheboygan held license 0776.
Joseph Schmitt enters the construction business after serving as a carpenter apprentice with the railroad.
Jos. Schmitt Construction builds a name for itself construction homes, barns and churches around the Sheboygan area.
Joseph’s son, Robert, joins the family business. The company is incorporated as Jos. Schmitt and Son, Inc. and adds general contracting and real estate services. The company helps develop residential subdivisions on the south side of Sheboygan.
Robert purchases the company from this father. A year later, his sons, Donald and Richard, join the company after serving in the Navy during World War II.
Jos. Schmitt forges relationships with several prominent national and regional oil companies to build and expand filling stations throughout east central Wisconsin.
The company is incorporated as Jos. Schmitt Construction Co., Inc.
Donald Schmitt purchases the company from his father, Robert.
The company becomes well known for its churches including the Hingham Reformed Church and the contemporary St. Mark’s Catholic Church in Sheboygan Falls.
Due to rapid growth, new offices and millwork facilities are constructed at current corporate headquarters located at 2104 Union Avenue. Metal building and overhead door franchises are added to better serve clients. The original manufacturing/office facility is completed for J.L. French Corp and a 96,000 square foot manufacturing facility is completed for the Vollrath Co.
Towering over the Sheboygan skyline are the Sheboygan Retirement Home and Sunny Ridge Nursing Home. Both are complete in the early ‘70s.
Among 500 franchised builders throughout the world, Jos. Schmitt wins the coveted “Building of the Year Contest” for its work on the Donohue & Associates, Inc. office facility.
Donald Schmitt retires, and his son Steven Schmitt becomes president.
Donald Schmitt passes away after a long illness and is survived by his wife, Loretta, and his sons, Reed and Steve.
The company performs over two dozen school projects.
Steven Schmitt is recognized as the Wisconsin Main Street Volunteer of the Year by Governor Tommy Thompson.
The firm becomes well known for its historic restoration/adaptive reuse work. Brickner Woolen Mills is restored and adapted into charming riverfront apartments.
In one year the company completes over 500,000 square feet of manufacturing space that includes J.L. French – Gateway Plant, Bemis ADF II, and Rockline Industries, Inc. Kirby Metal Building Systems awards Jos. Schmitt with their first Presidential Citation in recognition of the company’s dedication, commitment and contributions to Kirby Building Systems and the metal building industry over the past 20 years.
Jos. Schmitt celebrates 100 years with a fireworks display at the recently completed Cedar Grove – Belgium High School which came in on time and under budget. A relationship with Concordia University is formed with the construction of the new 4-story, 255 bed Regents Residence Hall.
With the construction of a new branch location in Fond du Lac, Jos. Schmitt begins a relationship with BankMutual which continues today and has included the construction of nearly a dozen new locations.
The relationship with Concordia University continues as the 22,000 square foot R. John Buuck Field House is completed.
Simultaneously completed two 95,000 square foot state of the art gymnasium and classroom additions at North and South High Schools.
While nearing 50% completion, the Landmark Square Senior Condominiums is completely destroyed by fire.
Working together with the Sheboygan Senior Community, the Landmark Square project is completed a little more than 1 year after it was destroyed by fire. Continuing the relationship with Concordia University, the 5-story, 354 bed Coburg Residence Hall is completed in time for the St. Louis Rams to hold their summer training camp at the Mequon campus.
With a strong foundation, qualified employees, strong resources, loyal friends and a commitment to excellence, Jos. Schmitt intends to meet tomorrow’s challenges by building better together.